Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Documentary (road and truth)

Documentary as a creative treatment of actuality. It is a subjective filmmaking; a creation with a necessary agenda.

Documentary (and, perhaps, all filmmaking), necessarily deals with the unfinished business of one's own life. This is to say, my film will be reflective of my personal experience: and will contain themes essential to my self. I am interested in creating film about journey and transition and change, and I think that this can be attributed, in part, to the journey [of my youth]. I want to reflect upon this event, and I want to know how journey has affected others, as well.
I recently indulged in a spate of 'road' genre media: I read On The Road, watched Wolf Creek, and listened back to an interview I conducted with a friend who drove his postie bike from Melbourne to Perth (and home again). The allure of the road, the freedom, the boredom and the peace. I loved the style of prose in On the Road: I feel that it allowed the reader to 'feel' the experience (immersion).
 I have never driven across a sprawling country. I like silence and I like solitary. I like to meander through hot towns. My back gets sweaty in the car; the cooling is broken and the air is stagnant against the black interior. Sweat pools, drips and slowly saturates.

Steve said, documentary often contains paradoxical truths (this is the nature of the form).
Documentary truth is such that nobody could make it up.
"No one can recreate what happened here"
We discussed the notion that, in documentary film, people are 'performing themselves' - it is necessary that human behaviour will be changed by the presence of a camera. While it is possible to 'acclimatise' the subject to the presence and glare of the lens, it is a distinction from the norm, a disruption to an otherwise unrecorded life.

No comments:

Post a Comment